During the Middle Ages Western cartography knew practically nothing of the interior of Africa and reported, in an uncertain way, what was asserted by the Greek geographers of antiquity mostly by Claudius Ptolemy who lived in the imperial era in Alexandria in Egypt. In the map of North Africa entitled "Tertia Africae Tabula" published in Rome in 1478, the Siwa region is well indicated, even if it is too south-east of the Nile. This region called in Latin "Ammonica Regio" inclu
Date of the first edition: 1595 -Date of this map: 1601
Size: 36 x 47cm (14 x 18.2 inches) Verso text: Latin
From: Theatrum Orbis Terrarum Abrahami Ortelii Antverp. Geographi Regii. Antwerpen, Plantin Press, 1601. The position of the "Iovis Ammonis Oraculum" is clearly seen, namely the Siwa Oasis. The author added a drawing of what he thought was the arrangement of the temple of the oracle according to the description given by Pausanias.
In the background we can also see
The citizen Ripault (we are at the time of the French revolution) had presented to the Institute of Egypt (founded by Napoleon) a memory concerning the Western oases which includes a description of Siwa (taken from Arab travelers since he had never been to the Oases). The text is in French Mémoire du citoyen Ripault - “Recherches sur les Oasis” La population, divisée en deux tribus, fortes ensemble d’environ deux mille ames , habite, réunie comme une seule et même famille ,
Siwa - Die Oase des Sonnengottes in der libyschen Wüste von J.C. Ewald Falls 1910 With 25 illustrations after original photographs of the viceroy Expedition 1906 and the Kaufmann Expedition 1905-07 #Siwa #EwaldFalls #KaufmannExpedition
Article written in the magazine by a member of Victor Stoloff's team who stayed in Siwa for three months in 1937 to shoot a film about the life of the Oasis, entitled "Desert Boy" #Siwa #DesertBoy #VictorStoloff
"Long Range Desert Group" (LRDG) was a reconnaissance and raiding unit of the British Army during the Second World War. Originally called the Long Range Patrol (LRP), the unit was founded in Egypt in June 1940 by Major Ralph A. Bagnold. At the begin of 1941 the detached 'G' and 'Y' Patrols were based at Siwa Oasis, under command of XIII Corps.
In August 1941 'R' Patrol relieved 'G' and 'Y' Patrols at Siwa and was joined by 'T' Patrol in October
In November 1941 the LRDG, now
These are the first images that I found after the end of the war and they show us a still traditional Siwa but we are close enough to our times to recognize places and, perhaps, people. #Siwa #RobinMaugham
Campbell in his book describes his journey through the Italian Libya in 1931 and 1932 which leads him to pass by the oasis of Siwa coming from Jarabub. It doesn't say anything new about Siwa and its surroundings (but it does provide photos from 1932 including one from El 'Areg Oasis) #Siwa #ElAreg #DugaldCampbell