Prince Farouk Hotel 1920-1930
During the British occupation of Egypt, Siwa became a tourist attraction. Unlike the travelers of the past, who made the journey under peril, the colonialists booked trips via the Libyan Oases Association in Alexandria, owned and operated by Captain Hillier, formerly of the Frontier District Administration. Clients had a choice of a nine-day tour by rail and coach via Mersa Matruh or a month-long camel safari via Wadi Natrun and Qattara Depression. Once in Siwa, they enjoyed the comforts of the Prince Farouk Hotel, also owned by Hillier. It was a small, two-story hotel situated on a spur of Gebel al-Mawta, made of whitewashed mud brick, with red and black Bedouin rugs. Maximum occupancy was twelve guests. It also had a dining room, lounge, and veranda.